Wednesday, May 18, 2011

SOLVE SUNDSBO - THE PHOTO MAGICIAN




SOLVE SUNDSBO initially was misunderstood in the fashion photography world. "People would say to me, 'I'm not sure I can hire you, I'm not sure what you're doing. What is your style?' I was mortified and thought I was never going to make a living as a photographer." What was different about Solve is that he embraced every photography technique there was, whether it be X-rays, 3-D scanning, high-tech manipulation, or hand-painted retouching..."If I've got a style, it's that I've got no style."




While taking a photography course in London, a phone call from Nick Knight offering a position as an assistant changed his world. For four years, Solve dedicated himself to Nick, and in return Nick who is one of the most influential fashion photographers, gave back to Solve as well.




Now Solve is a fashion world institution. His portfolio consists of Dior, Gucci, Hermes, Yves Saint Laurent, Bally, and Armani. Fashion designer Tom Ford says, "Solve is a great talent in the fashion industry. His photographs speak for themselves. They are powerful, beautiful, always fresh, and I am lucky to have worked with him over the past decade." Even though it looks like Solve's photos are digitally altered, they're not; he uses old-fashioned techniques.




When it comes to photography nowadays Solve says, "Photography has become democratic – anyone with a digital camera can shoot something and alter it in Photoshop to make it look polished. For the past four or five years there's been a lot of dull, perfected work around, but there's an industry backlash going on now." Sorry Mr. Professional!!! What is crazy though, is that Solve Sundsbo's work is unlike anything I've seen in photography, and is truly a masterpiece in itself.






You Just Do You, Imma Do Me

Camille

No comments:

Post a Comment