Sunday, May 29, 2011

French Open 2011: World No1 Caroline Wozniacki crashes out




Caroline Wozniacki

Denmark's world No1, Caroline Wozniacki, during her defeat to Daniela Hantuchova in the third round of the French Open. Photograph: Michel Euler/AP






When Caroline Wozniacki joined Kim Cljsters on the outside looking in at this French Open – the first time the No1 and No2 seeds have failed to reach the last 16 of a women's slam in the Open era – she was as embarrassed as the Belgian, but a little tetchier. It's not a great look for the women's game, especially following the earlier exit of last year's finalist Sam Stosur, who lost to Gisela Dulko.


Wozniacki's tennis was all over the place against the 28th-seeded Daniela Hantuchova, who won with startling ease, 6-1, 6-3. "She played very, very well today, better than me," she said. "She was just too good."


Asked if these defeats illustrated depth or weakness across women's tennis, she said: "There's a lot of great players out there. Kim had a tough loss yesterday, I had a tough loss today. Since we're No1 and two, it means that we must be doing something right."


Despite never having won a slam, Wozniacki will keep the crown going into Wimbledon unless the third seed, Vera Zvonareva, wins here and at Eastbourne. "When I was younger, people told me, you'll never be a top player, you're from Denmark, we don't have the mentality. And, you know, it really doesn't matter. I know what I'm capable of. I know I'm a great player. I'm doing well. I had a loss today. That's what happens. I'll be back even better."


No comments:

Post a Comment